Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Definitions and Democracy.

In my 11th class I visited a psychiatrist, ask me why. It was one of those group sessions where you just chit chat and basically waste some time, just to come back later and waste more. I had my iPod ready and was all in for a nice, long time with my music, alone.
But when it came, it hit me with all its force, I was taken aback. My 'doctor' was not the imagined, 'stereotypical' old spectacled woman but a young guy, probably in his late 20s.
But that’s totally not what made me go wow, It was his attire and moreover the twin ear piercing he had got. I was like ZOMG! He needs a sane person to live with more than I need a doctor. But just then I realized that this was going to be one day full of surprises!

Before I was leaving for this place my dad explained to me a hundred times how it was just a formality and how I shouldn't mind it. Mind it? God, I loved it...And if this is what you call formalities, Please get me some more dad.

This guy, don’t remember his name now, placed a HUGE drawing sheet on the floor and told all of us to sit down, making a circle around it. He gave us each a pen and told us to write a definition of democracy. Obviously, It had to be original and exactly what democracy to us is.
Me posting my definition here, Just coz I am jobless:
My democracy would be one where the youth are educated, street smart and confident or at least where they get the opportunity to become any of it. It would be where they have a clear set idea of how the government is run, who runs it and how "we" can make a difference to something (running the government) which affects our lives, completely. It would be someplace where the "leaders" would adhere to what they preach and where what’s on paper would be put to practice. It has to someplace where a guy/girl in his teens wouldn't say I don't want to become a politician, I am not corrupt. And yes, it would be where I proudly stand up and say I AM AN INDIAN before needing to say I am from Assam's insurgency areas or I am a Muslim or I hold an OBC quota.

Now, there was a guy in his class 9th or 10th I guess, He was here coz some guys at school bullied him and he could not even go tell the teacher. Looks like a loser, right? Let me tell you one more thing, He was the same guy who made everyone in the room cry or maybe I am a lil too emotional . Jotting down his definition coz I really don't need say anymore:
"I don’t remember the definition of democracy which my teacher taught me, If I did maybe I would write that here. But I do remember the way I've always imagined myself to live if I were free to act out of will. Everyone keeps whining about how they want new identities, freedom, better amenities. I just want to be like the rest of you. Tomorrow when I got to school and see my boyfriend, I do not want to act interested in the girls...I just want to go over and say hi to him, the way normal people would. I don’t want to find a corner every time I want to get intimate with him. I don't want my parents to thing he bullies me, He loves me and I love that. I hate to think hundred and one times before I hold his hand. I hate it more when people ridicule us. Every time on V-day people say the so called 'activists' are unfair, they wont let you hold hands in public, share a private moment in a park or simply gift your Valentine a pack of chocolates. Well, Its V-day for us too, just that it is EVERYDAY of our existence that we go under this grinder. When I do share my feelings with people really close to me, they tell me to think again. I want to shout right then, I have been thinking all my life goddamit. Maybe some day I will get married to a girl but I will never learn to live or love coz I really can’t live in this 'Democracy' of yours."

1 comment:

  1. I had tears in my eyes too!! main pyaaz kaat raha tha :D

    ReplyDelete